December 10, 2011

Lentil Soup

I love soup!!I REALLY LOVE SOUP.... Especially in the winter when its cold outside,  but don't we all though?! I have never had or tried to make lentils before, but I went over to a friends a few weeks ago and she had made some lentil soup. I didn't try any, but it sparked my curiosity. So I decided to find a good recipe and make it, well yesterday I did just that! and the result was.... well, I officially LOVE LENTIL SOUP.... Here's how I made mine, along with a few pictures of the steps, hope you all enjoy! 


What you will need:
 3 strips (3 ounces) bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces *I used turkey bacon*
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch half-moons
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
 a glass of white wine and christmas tunes, as well...

* If you prefer to leave out the bacon, cook the onions and carrots in 1 tablespoon olive oil.


First in a 5-quart pot with a tight-fitting lid (or Dutch oven) cook bacon over medium-low heat until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat.


Add onion and carrots; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste, and cook 1 minute. 



Add lentils, thyme, broth, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cover; cook until lentils are tender, 30 to 45 minutes. (If it starts to get to thick add more water)

Stir in vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve immediately.






Hope you all enjoy this soup as much as I did!!

1 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

© Mother Gnome, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena